When the snow flies, Breckenridge locals come out to play, and it’s not just on the slopes. A winter-long calendar of events in Breckenridge keeps the lively atmosphere rolling through spring. Check out the top winter festivals to start planning your winter escape.
Winter Events in Breckenridge
Nov. 9 – Breckenridge Ski Resort Opening Day
We’re counting down to Opening Day! Breckenridge Ski Resorts opens November 10 for the 2017/18 season and it’s sure to be a great one. Get ready for huge powder days and a winter season full of events. No one kicks off the season like Breckenridge! Grab your gear and get ready to kick0ff this season in style.
- Catch your first chair of the season
- Pre-Opening Giveaways
Dec. 8 – Lighting of Breckenridge & Race of the Santas
Kick-off the holiday season with Breckenridge’s annual Lighting of Breckenridge and Race of the Santas festivities. Our 2018 celebration will take place on December 8, 2018. The first weekend in December begins Breckenridge’s annual transformation into a sparkling holiday scene. Participate in the Race of the Santas, where hundreds of jolly look-alikes race and watch as Santa uses his magic to light up the town for the season.
- Race of the Santas down Main Street
- Holiday Dog Parade
- Lighting of Breckenridge
- Phil Kline’s “Unsilent Night” procession
- Meet Santa
Dec. 31: New Year’s Eve Celebration
Ring in the New Year with style! Catch the Torch Light Parade down the slopes of Breckenridge Ski Resort followed by a spectacular array of fireworks. Of course, town will be packed with NYE dinners, live music, and parties to ring in the New Year in style.
- Torch Light Parade
- Live Music & Parties
Ullr Fest will celebrate 55 years January 10-13, 2018! The Town of Breckenridge invites snow lovers of all ages to join the party. During Ullr Fest in Breckenridge, don’t be surprised to see horned Viking hats adorning the heads of skiers and snowboarders, the biggest bonfire in town, and more than 12,000 Ullr enthusiasts filling the streets for the Ullr Parade with crazy float participants skiing off jumps on Main Street or gliding along town in a hot tub. Join us to rejoice with Ullr himself for a line-up of his favorite events in Breckenridge… he’s ready for a good party.
- Break the world’s longest shot ski record at Ullr Shot Ski
- Take part in the Ullr Parade down Main Street
- Retire your Christmas tree at the Ullr Bonfire
- Prove your dedication to the cold at Ullr Ice Plunge
- Enjoy Comedy Night starring stand-up comedian, Jimmy Dunn
- Check out Breck’s Got Talent, Wild & Scenic Film Festival, family activities and a whole lot of ULLR!
Join us in 2019 for the 29th Annual International Snow Sculpture Championships presented by Breckenridge Brewery and Your Hometown Toyota Stores! Watch as snow sculpture artists from around the world create creative masterpieces out of 12-foot-tall, 25-ton blocks of snow using only hand tools. This is one of the most creative and inspiring events in Breckenridge.
- Technical Week | Watch how the blocks are built or even volunteer to help create one!
- Sculpting Week | Watch the blocks transform into art during the five days (65 hours) of sculpting!
- Viewing Week | Enjoy the completed sculptures then come back at night to see them lit up!
Each year, visitors from New Orleans and Mardi Gras lovers take over Breckenridge with masks, boas, beads, music, and revelry to commemorate the carnival season. Join us on Main Street for a New Orleans-Style Mardi Gras party! This one-day festival is filled with the most festive Mardi Gras events in Breckenridge!
- Annual Mardi Gras Parade @ 4:30pm
- Free Concert from Lowdown Brass Band @ Riverwalk Center
- Paulaner Salvator Festival (Strong Beer Festival)